A Blessing Not a Brush Off


By Kelli Knight

This morning, in the midst of my time with Jesus, He brought my daughter to my mind (even though she wasn’t the focus of our conversation). One of the things that drives me craziest is her constant pronouncement of her ailments.

When I pick her up from school, somewhere in the course of “how was your day?” is a visit to the school nurse. On weekends there is always an ache, something-in-her-eye, or at the very least a hang-nail all of which could be cause for a prescription for morphine. If I had a nickel for every Band-Aid or bandage I’ve handed out for one of her many medical concerns, we would be a very wealthy family.

This morning God whispered, “Kelli, when she comes to you with a hurt, what she’s really asking for is a blessing.” I’m sad to admit that when my daughter comes to me; my response is usually “Yeah, yeah, what’s your problem now?” This morning, God showed me how inappropriate that response is to the real request, “Mommy, will you bless me?”

God blesses us again and again no matter what we bring to Him…our brokenness, our need for healing…our type “A” personalities, colds and plans for accomplishments. Even if He gives correction, he never brushes us off. He says, “Come to me… and I’ll give you rest,”(Matthew 11:28). “I delight in the details of your life,” (Psalm 37:23 NLT) and “I love you,” (Isaiah 43:4).

In the end, I’m thinking back to my initial prayer time with God. Okay, so maybe my daughter gets a little bit of the drama queen from me. I am overwhelmingly thankful for my Father’s response to my many needs. Today, I determine to hear my precious daughter’s real heart requests…and bestow a blessing, not a brush off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!